Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pietragalla's "Marco Polo"?




Is it fantastic? Yes. Julien Derouault's contributions to this production are outstanding. His dancing is amazing and his addition of street dancers and extended multi-media makes this a real spectacle. The only thing that is out of place is Pietragalla.

I disagree with everything that happened here because of that. Earlier in this blog I posted a clip of Derouault improvising in a rehearsal hall, footage of which appears in animation form during Marco Polo. It reminds me of Afternoon of a Fawn in certain places, very Nijinsky, and that form seems to just come and go so I assume its his natural style. I love the way this guy dances. I think the dancing in Marco Polo is phenomenal.

But this show isn't Pietragalla and in fact she looks very awkward in it. It felt shiny and obvious, like they put big spotlight on the substance just in case we didn't catch it. It feels like an television special. I don't know. I love it, but I don't.

You know, when they mixed chocolate and peanut butter back in the 70's, SURPRISE!! A great success, a candy combination that we love still and it was magic but not everything is going to be a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. And this is proof of it. It's good, and in places it's awesome, especially the Chemical Brothers spot toward the end, but somehow two brilliant people became something less in this production.

Having seen Derouault alone in the rehearsal hall, now watch Pietragalla below in an excerpt from her solo show La Tentation d'Eve and tell me I'm wrong. -Fatova Mingus.