Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Marie Chouinard: Body Remix: Goldberg Variations Part One


I've been trying to find a good copy of this for almost a year. I found it today in three pieces. Unfortunately, there is a fourth. Nonetheless, Marie Chouinard's "Body Remix: Goldberg Variations" is one of the most puzzling, controversial and stunning pieces of work I've ever watched. I'm never really sure what I am seeing and then I see something else. As always, she was accused of something. I'm surprised this woman wasn't thrown in a lake by the politically correct dance community to see if she floated a long time ago. She's a god damn heretic! I mean she's making fun of the physically challenged here!

I imagine everyone dances. Why wouldn't someone who's body can't move in a way that's pleasing to the masses not want to or not be able to? I imagine the restriction upon them is not their body but rather my mind, your mind. The minds of people who can move in a pleasing manner, in a way that is applauded and awarded. It becomes ugly. By the time you get to the end of this performance, you can't possibly be thinking Chouinard was doing anything other than turning criticsm inward and the last minute of this piece is extremely sad. -Fatova Mingus

Post a Comment