Thursday, December 15, 2016

kid can dance (originally posted 12/20/2010)


I've wanted to post this for a year. I can't tell you why I haven't except that maybe I'm not sure of the kid's name and I didn't want to seem like a dork calling him "Daniel the Mad Scientist". But I think by now, it's pretty clear that I'm going to be considered a dork (at the very least) in some crowds and furthermore, I don't give a flying shit. Whoever this is, he can dance. It's spellbinding. This a like "contra-moving", going against everything the body wants to do naturally and then making it a natural movement. This reminds me of (of course) Vaslav Nijinsky's 1912 piece "Apres midi d'un Faune" the first time this type of anti-ballet was introduced to the world.


 Of course he went further in 1913 with  Le Sacre du Printemps.  It did him in.  Too advanced for the time.  Like no one else.  But in a few years look at what Martha Graham was doing:



OK now return to regulary scheduled program....


There are companies making use of dancers like the kid in the above clip as well as martial artists and street dancers. These young people are touring the world now, making a living, learning other forms of dance and getting a chance to "become" with this unusual gift of artistry they possess which in most cases ends up going nowhere but the clubs.

The dance companies, and only Pietragalla and Derouault come to mind with Marco Polo or this ridiculously good first minute from Condition Humaines  are pretty much based in Europe and Canada. If you're a gifted unusual dancer in Hotlanta you better get moving before it's too late and you're writing a blog about other peoples' talent because time passed you by.

You know, there's also the Balletboyz. They did this cool
street fight thing to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.  That is a monster compliment from me.They do some unusual stuff. They ripped this from the internet but...yeah.  I won't embed it.  Here is the link.
http://igorandmore.blogspot.com/2010/08/le-zacre-du-printempz.html
So, "Daniel the Mad Scientist" if that's who you are and if it is not please write me and let me know, you're gifted.  You're creating motion against itself and you seem to be doing it organically, you know?

Aim high,  Send video and portfolios to the biggest creative companies.  Stay out of Canada though.  I don't think they let blacks or Hungarians there.  I know I got kicked out.  So...