Sunday, May 7, 2017

7 Years Of Le Sacre


On January 30, 2010 I uploaded the Joffrey's 1987 debut of "Le Sacre du Printemps" onto YouTube.  Back then the time allotted was 10 minutes so it is in 3 installments.









I have had over 1 million views about 1,800 comments, some of which disappeared in 2014 for some reason and it is an absolute joy to see peoples' reaction to Le Sacre. Installment One ends almost at the end of  "The Ritual of Rival Tribes"...that's one hell of a cliffhanger though...

The comments run the gamut.  

Seven years ago, I was all emotion about the reconstruction.  In LOVE with it and surprisingly I didn't fight with viewers/ commenters.  My parents raised me to think expansively about art.  I have encouraged people in the last year now that music students have to watch it.  



Then you see some young music students going back and forth - 2 of them love it and are watching on their own time.  I don't know why that excites me but it does.  It's encouraging.  I like to answer and educate without being condescending.  It's taken some time to learn but I have learned. 


.
I never found the ballet as scary as the students who see it for the first time though!  I think 60% of the comments are about how scary it is:




It doesn't matter what their comments are, they saw something so historically and artistically significant and they don't even know it.  Not yet. This guy 3 months ago made a comment about how they are just jumping around


I am going to work on a project of "the comments". 




One thing that everyone agrees on is that Beatriz Rodriguez, in the "death rattle" scares the hell out of them:




"You can tell from her eyes she's gone mad cuz she's dying!"



You're right dude.  She does. And you sat through the entire ballet to get to it...!!

I'll write more on this.  I see people come back with more knowledge and comment again, usually inaccurately like I used to at first. But damn.  They come back and want to talk about it. I love it. 

-Fatova



Post a Comment